1 John 1:8-9
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
My immediate feeling after I sin is guilt and it is usually pretty heavy guilt. First off, I am glad that sin upsets me because if it didn't I wouldn't have a heart for the lord, but the lord Jesus does not want us to feel guilt from sin. When we have accepted Jesus Christ as our savior and begin to love the things God loves and start to hate things God hates then guilt will be a natural reaction for most of us to our sin. Christ knows that we will continue to stumble, but since our hearts are changed we will strive for righteousness. It is always humbling that our greatest works are like filthy rags to God. This is refreshing because it reminds us that our faith is not a works based religion. Our lord has more grace and mercy than we could ever imagine. Above all else guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.
Romans 8:1 : Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
When we sin the hardest thing to do sometimes is to run straight to the Lord. Usually we feel so guilty that we avoid it for awhile. Recently I have been working on coming straight to the Lord when I have sinned and letting him fill me up with his grace and love so that I experience freedom and repentance instead of guilt and condemnation. Going to the lord and letting him fill you up with freedom can help eventually break habitual sin and also help you to grow and understand even more how loving our God is. This will help us break free from guilt and condemnation. which is from the evil one. Our Lord saved us according to his mercy, and we are justified by his grace.
Another thing that has been on my mind lately is when scripture is taken out of context. Whenever I hear a message or someone quotes a bible verse for a certain situation, I need to make sure that the context is right because scripture can be taken many different ways and justify things that are not biblical. I have done it several times to justify something I do and many times it is not right. A lot of people call these out of context moments half truths and I completely agree. When we seek the Lord he will give us life. When we seek out God's word he will reveal us the truth. God's word never contradicts itself.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment